Friday, January 8, 2010

What does shoveling snow have to do with it?

So far it's been a snowy winter. Snow shoveling, while not something I consider fun, is something I consider a necessity. Last time I was out, I found a new respect for it as I realized the fundamentals can be applied to running any business.

1. Devise a plan: Should you start with the driveway or the walk way? Seems trivial but you may need different tools (such as a snow-blower or plow versus a shovel) for each. Plan it out.

2. Don't deviate from your plan: If you do a little section at the base of the driveway and then decide you should head to the other end and shovel out what the town plow has left behind and then perhaps run over and clear the front steps you are going to become frustrated as you'll spend a lot of time and have nothing completed.

3. Stay focused: Even though it feels like a tedious task, doing the right the first time will save you time and headaches later on.

Before you know it, you'll turn around and the driveway will be spotless! Success!!

Anything to add? Please don't hesitate to send me your additional thoughts.

Be well,
Rhonda